Wildcat Families and Friends:
Check out this wonderful opportunity for you to earn a bachelor's degree and become a teacher. Spread the news with anyone and everyone who has an interest in the education field!
Though the original video is geared as a message to teachers, the content is something I think all adults who visit our classrooms should see. As the principal, I often hear "Something needs to be done about that student." I know that it may frustrate you when my response is to simply listen without responding. For many of those scenarios, it is because Arkansas is filled with all sorts of learners. I hope by watching this quick video, you can change your lens for a moment; the next time you see a behavior that may seem unacceptable to you, remember that our staff does their best to meet each student where he or she is and grow them at their own respective levels.
Thanks for your consideration,
Lori K. Petersen
OFFICIAL SCHOOL CALENDAR
Info on Free and Reduced Lunch Process
To clarify a couple of concerns that have been brought to my attention:
- It is not a federal requirement for parents to have an email to receive free or reduced benefits.
- Paper applications are always available. However, online F&R processing is the preferred choice (reasons stated below).
Why have we moved to an online F&R application system?
Nutrition Services transitioned to an online application system for the following benefits that impact our APS District:
- Instant notification of status when they complete the online application.
- Significant decrease of incomplete information compared to paper applications, which can delay the approval process creating negative balances
- Avoids duplication of paper applications
- Better for the environment, reduces paper waste, global on-line push
What can I do to help at my school?
- Please encourage and support ALL families/households to fill out applications online (only need one for all students in the same household)
- Please hand out F&R flyer with link to encourage all households to fill out online F&R applications
- Please reach out to your school kitchen manager and/or Nutrition Services Office with concerns and any questions
- Please direct all households requiring a paper application to your kitchen site manager or the Nutrition Services Office and we can assist them
How can Nutrition Services help support?
- In order to deliver the commitments and available support in this partnership of moving to paperless applications, Nutrition Services is providing the following resources:
- Frequent updates: NS Office of support will send weekly or more frequently upon email request, a report stating students who have not completed a F&R application for the 2018-19 school year. Please send email request for more frequent reports to Deborah Nelson at email@example.com Edna Chavira at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Staff support at your school: NS Office of support will send out our NS staff to your schools (upon request and availability) to help parents navigate the new online F&R form at back to school nights, parent breakfasts, open houses or any other community event you may need support for your parents filling out the On-line Free and Reduced Applications. Please email requests for NS staff support to Katie Lopez at email@example.com.
- Constant Support at Nutrition Services: NS office of support will have staff available at our offices everyday (15700 E. 1st Ave) from 6:30 AM - 4:30 PM M-F available to help assist anyone wanting to fill out an application by phone or in person. We will have 4-5 computers available.
- Ongoing phone support: NS Office of Support will answer all phone calls for help/support from households needing support filling out the applications on-line. 303-343-0295 ext(s) 28565, 28529, 28551, 28578. If we are assisting other households, please leave a message and we will return calls ASAP.
- Reminders and outreach from kitchen staff: Our kitchen site managers will send emails to households reminding them that they have not yet received a new application for this school and will attach the tutorial for directions. They will call households to remind them that they have not yet received a new application for this school year.
- NS Office of Support has paper applications at 15700 E. 1st Ave that we can assist households in filling out if necessary
Shannon C Solomon MS, SNS
Director Nutrition Services
Aurora Public Schools